Older chickens killing younger?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by meghanraes, Jan 12, 2015.

1. meghanraes

meghanraes New Egg

Dec 29, 2014
    I am incubating I have hatched around 15 chickens some were about two weeks older and I put The newly hatched in with them I had one of the newest ones die yesterday and the other one looks like it's dying as well. Could the older chicks be packing and are stopping it to death? I I thought them only being week or two apart that they would not injur one another

2. William1hens

William1hens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2014
    I would say the older chicks are killing the younger ones.Its their natural instinct to get more food for themselves.you either have to seperate them or have more smaller chicks than bigger.
    Good luck[​IMG]

3. meghanraes

meghanraes New Egg

Dec 29, 2014
    Thanks I am saddened by this :( I should have known :( there is no blood so how do they kill them ? Stomping them? They are not big in size all just 3/4 weeks old

4. William1hens

William1hens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2014
    They could stomp on them but they probably are pecking the chicks head.Just the impact is enough to kill a chick without any blood.
    Even though the older chicks are only two weeks older there is a huge size difference because the grow so fast.

5. meghanraes

meghanraes New Egg

Dec 29, 2014
    K thanks William both the youngest died :( I will be putting newborns in separate container when they hatch today.

6. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Sorry that happened. Thanks for sharing so that others can learn too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by