1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

older chickens pecking

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RioLindoAz, Jul 17, 2007.

1. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    I got new baby silkies they are allways haveing fun till the older ones come and peck their guts out. How do I make them stop.

Thanks

2. hisbride

hisbride Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2007
    GA
    how much older are the older ones? You probably need to separate the little ones till they get bigger.

3. WindyOaksYokes

WindyOaksYokes Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I had the same problem for about a week and a half... mine are exactly 4 weeks apart from one another. I didn't know what to do, so needless to say... for that week and a half I spent alot of time outside watching them and interveining occasionally. Eventually the younger ones learned to stay away from the older ones even in the coop (if that was possible). I just chalked it up to "pecking order" as all animals do. Anyways, 10 weeks later they are all doing well... have not lost one... not to mention the turkeys are guarding the younger ones LOL!!!!!!!! Guess I have been lucky for being a novice and having nooooooooooo clue as to what I am doing except for reading and asking questions. Hope all goes well.

Tes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by