older chicks make a fuss about being handled

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mika4me, Sep 14, 2010.

1. mika4me

mika4me Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2010
    Sacramento
    My chicks (five weeks to seven weeks) have been out of the laundry room and in their new outdoor coop for the last two nights. They seem very happy and plenty warm at night, and they love pecking around during the day. They make a big fuss if I try to pick them up or pet them though. They come running to see me and cheep a lot as though they are glad I'm there (the treats of course) but don't like being handled. Is this a stage they'll grow out of? Is there a right way and a wrong way to pick up a chicken? Maybe I'm doing it wrong... It just seems like they should get used to being handled in case it's ever necessary to clip their wings or they get sick, etc. Any thoughts?

2. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    They are at that age where they want mom around but dont touch or talk to me. Mine went through that at that age and I still picked them up and held them and petted them. Just wait till they get to the teenage stage where they blow you off completely and you have to chase them down to get them!!!! It gets better. Just keep at it!

3. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:I agree completely..hang in there. They go through stages as they are maturing but they will come around. If you keep handling them, they will be so attached to you that you will have to push them away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by