Older hen acting tired and weak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sham30, Oct 3, 2011.

1. sham30

sham30 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    Maine
    My oldest hen Ethel has been acting out of sorts, her comb has folded over and she seems weak and tired. She is still interested in eating and drinking but is not herself. She my favorite so I would like to figure out what is wrong. Her poo is watery and not normal looking, I am thinking maybe she is not eating as much but still not sure. I have her out by herself so she can rest.
    She is a 2 1/2 year old red sex link, a week ago her comb started to lay down and she slept in the nesting box not on a roost, she is not breathing heavy or showing any other signs other then being "off" so I am stumped.
    Any ideas or advice greatly welcomed

2. Chicklinz

Chicklinz Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    My rooster is acting very similar. I just treated him for worms and am hoping this is what is wrong with him because I also am stumped. Have you recently treated your hen for worms or checked to see if she has any other type of parasitic infestation? Something could be draining her of energy.

3. sham30

sham30 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2009
    Maine
    I was thinking the same thing that perhaps I need to worm her - what did you use on your rooster? I am hoping it is something simple

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by