Older Hen, Bad Eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Whirlwind, Nov 18, 2007.

1. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Hi I have a question about one of my older hens eggs. First she is a Golden comet. She is @ 2 1/2 years old. Her eggs shells are thin and not of very good texture. You can shake the eggs and the egg sloshes all around in the shell. I am thinking that she is just past her prime and egg quality is just not so good anymore. Any ideas? Would it be safe to eat these eggs or should I toss them out?

My DH figured this out about her eggs. He likes to make omlets and wanted me to ask if anyone knew how to scramble the eggs while they were still in the shells. Cutting out a step or 2 in the process of making the omlets. [​IMG]

2. aliena614

aliena614 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    give her some oyster shell and lots of protein! that should help a bunch! also make sure she is getting 15hrs of light a day to stimulate the production! she should lay good until she is 4 or 5!
    one more tip!! put a table spoon or so of apple cider vinegar in her water to rid off parasites, that could be stealing nutrition from her!

hope this helps! aliena

3. SpottedCrow

SpottedCrow Flock Goddess

Obelisk is 4 and a half almost...and her eggs are fine...
    How do they look when you open them?

4. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    My old Alice was still laying at 11, and her eggs were fine. I did notice that they were a bit more watery perhaps as she aged, but it wasn't bad, and her eggs were still tasty.

5. Whirlwind

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    They look just fine and I have eaten a few and they taste fine also. It seems like this all started during fall molt. I will be sure that she gets some oyster shell that may be the problem with the shells. As for more protien what besides layer rations?

6. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    They use a lot of protein making new feathers after molt. some type of protein suppliment would be a good place to start.

7. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Sunflower seeds are high in protein (30% if I remember correctly). Just feed them as a treat. Shells or shelled are good. [​IMG]

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Might check the feed store for layer supplement feed too. Ours carries a layer supplement feed "complete" with 20% instead of 16% protein. Some give cat food too.

9. Whirlwind

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    Ok will get them some more protein. thanks every one!!!

10. aliena614

aliena614 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Columbus, Ohio
    your welcome! I give my girls lots of sunflower too to back up the above suggestion! check your feed store for big bags! Keep us updated!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by