Older hen beating up new, young roo

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bonnylass79, Nov 10, 2009.

1. bonnylass79

bonnylass79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Central Florida
    I just picked up 4 - 4 1/2 month old Black Copper Marans, 1 roo and 3 hens. I've had to put them in with the rest of the flock until their coop is finished. Should only be a week. I have 2 Australorp and 2 Buff Orpington hens, all around a year old. Put them in with the flock last night. This morning one of the Aussies wouldn't let the roo near the food and kept pecking him. I've also seen her puff out her neck feathers at him. I came home tonight to see him missing a few tail feathers and the base of his tail is red and swollen. I have two 7 month old roosters that are normally with the girls, but I've been letting them free range during the day and putting them back with the flock at night. Any advice until we get the other coop done? I'd hate for this guy to be tail-less by the end of the week.

2. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    (Shrugging) I don't know the answer to your question -- I might put the roo in a crate when he had to be inside the coop if that's where they're picking on him...I bought a pair of speckled sussex where the roo was quite a bit younger than the hen. She badgered him to no end, pecked him bloody on the wings and back, and generally caused him to scream and screech so they got separate quarters. Then, I found him a younger hen that gets along great with him. Now "older woman" hen goes into their crate and spends the night occasionally, and when they are all out, she definitely does NOT pick on the roo. It's a growing up thing, I think.

3. bonnylass79

bonnylass79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2009
    Central Florida
    Of course everyone is getting along this morning. I guess it was just something they had to work out. She's even letting him eat next to her today.

4. Ghostchick

Ghostchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    My poor WC Black Polish has a naked butt. He was a wimpy roo but is now finally starting to act tougher. I am glad to hear they are getting along better!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by