Older Hen Egg Laying Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Rex Mom, Mar 9, 2014.

1. Rex Mom

Rex Mom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Castro Valley,CA
    I have a 5 year old black Australorp hen who started acting odd yesterday. She was fine until the late afternoon. Then I noticed she seemed tired, lethargic, slow. I thought maybe she ate too many bugs and grubs. She kept wanting to lay in a secluded spot. Like she needed to lay an egg. Her weight is good, comb is nice and dark red, of good plumage. This morning she came out of the coop like usual ready to eat. I took care of a few more things outside and on my way back to the house I looked at her and she was laying again on the ground. My first thought was, she is egg bound. So I looked that up. She gets plenty of oyster shell so I know it can't be lack of calcium. When I checked on her again she was in the nest box so I did not disturb her. Went back a little later and she was out with the rest of the girls walking around. Checked the box and she had laid a normal sized egg, nothing unusual about it. That was a relief, however, she was back to laying down in the pen again.

She is not a daily layer, most hens her age aren't. I get probably 2 eggs a week from her. My thought is, because of her age she may not be laying properly? Could she be "backed up" possibly with another egg? I am hoping someone of experience with older hens can shed some light on what could be the problem.

Thanks for any input you can give me-
    Susan:confused:

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Maybe she is having a little trouble passing the eggs. Often an older hen lays an "extra large" egg. I'd be glad she is laying! Maybe you can just keep an eye on her, especially if you can tell her eggs from the others.'

3. Rex Mom

Rex Mom Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2009
    Castro Valley,CA
    Thank you Judy. She doesn't seem interested in eating, just drinking water, so I know she isn't feeling herself. I guess I should be happy she's at least drinking. Yes, so relieved she laid an egg. Just wish I knew why she is still sitting/laying down. I may put her in a crate so I can observe her, give her some TLC.
    Thanks again for the response.
    Susan

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by