1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

older hen growing spurs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AppleHen, Jan 30, 2009.

1. AppleHen

AppleHen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2008
    I have a six year old Buff Orpington hen that is starting to grow spurs!! She didn't lay an egg at all last year, and only a handful the year before. (it's been nearly two years since she laid an egg) During her first two or three years she was an excellent egg layer. Could she have a hormone imbalance? I know hens sometimes have spurs-- it just seems odd for her to be getting them at her age!!

2. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

Do you have a rooster? If not she could be taking on the role of a rooster.

3. AppleHen

Dec 15, 2008
    I have a few roosters, so it's not that. I did see her chase down a young rooster that mated her. Then she got into a mini"rooster fight" with a young rooster over some food. (I saw another hen do the same thing). Lately she hasn't looked very good. Most of the time she stands around with her feathers all puffed up and her comb has fallen over. She's also lost weight recently. I just wormed & dusted her so I'll see if that helps her perk up. I've also been giving her food away from the others.

Farmer Kitty, I like the egg in your avatar. Is that the natural color of it?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2009
  4. AppleHen

Dec 15, 2008
    I thought of another thing strange about her lately... she has stopped perching also.

5. crazyhen

crazyhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    mtns of ,NC.
    When hens get old their hormones change and you may see spurs and more rooster like behavior. I just read something about it in Storeys chicken book. She will have little or no eggs from then on. Just occasional at best. Time for retirement or pot of stew. Jean

6. AppleHen

Dec 15, 2008
    crazyhen, Thanks for that info. at least now I know its normal... She is a pet, so she has gone into retirement. She is the matriarch of the flock!

7. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yes, that is the natural color of that egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by