1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Older hen - is she still laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blueeyeskms, Feb 24, 2014.

1. blueeyeskms

blueeyeskms Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2013
    Waverly, KS
    Aside from standing guard at the next boxes - too many chickens and not enough time - are there any physical signs I can look for to determine if a chicken is still laying eggs?

2. Hooligans7

Hooligans7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    North-central Arkansas
    Do you know the age of your oldest hens and which ones they are? Some may be molting, and you'd know it by their missing feathers. Or, the more elderly hens (3+ years old) may be going into retirement and lay only infrequently, but they'll usually be nice, large eggs.

Also, during the winter, ensure that your hens are getting a minimum of 14 hours of light per day; 15 is even better to keep them laying.

1 person likes this.
  3. blueeyeskms

Feb 13, 2013
    Waverly, KS
    I happened upon an article talking about the beak and leg color differences of laying vs non-laying. As well as the finger widths between the pubic bones and between the vent and the keel. If this information is correct, I wonder if a molting hen will appear the same as a non-laying hen?

4. chickkrzi

chickkrzi Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2011
    Waco texas
  5. blueeyeskms

Feb 13, 2013
    Waverly, KS
    Thanks! I'll check it out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by