Older hen keeps laying fart eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gophert, Apr 18, 2012.

1. gophert

gophert Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    I have gotten 3 "fart eggs" (teeny tiny) from one of my 3yo Barred Rocks in the past month. Otherwise I think she may not be laying much. Is this something to be concerned about or just an issue of age?

2. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

This is peak laying season, so if she isn't laying much and is misfiring when she does, it could mean she is winding down her productive life. If she were mine she'd be gone.

3. gophert

Sep 20, 2011
    Yeah, it could be that she is just not going to be productive anymore. That is okay; my kids want to hang onto her as a pet. However, if she has something wrong with her that I might be able to fix and get her laying again, or if this is a sign of illness/imminent problems, I'd like to know...

4. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

Probably not...but, is she really fat? A fat hen can have reproductive problems and become infertile because of it. If she isn't too fat, there probably isn't anything you can do to help this...some chickens just taper off around that age.

5. gophert

Sep 20, 2011
    Hmmm. She IS rather fat. Not sure how I would skinny her down, though? One of my other hens is too skinny, ironically. They all eat together...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by