Older hen laying shell-less eggs? Any ideas? UPDATE #9

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KellyHM, Oct 17, 2008.

1. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I got an EE hen about a month ago to add to my flock. She's suppose to be about 1.5 years old. After 4-5 days of settling in she laid a normal egg, then the next day she laid one that was thin-shelled which broke in my hand when I picked it up. Ever since then she's been laying them without shells. A week and a half ago she seemed to have one break inside her, so I brought her in and doctored her for a couple days, then booted her back out. Now back to shell-less. Her attitude/appetite/etc. has been great this whole time. Her poo and everything else is normal. It's just the eggs. Any ideas??? I don't want to have to make soup out of her, but if she doesn't shape up soon...

ETA: She eats layer crumbles, free ranges, gets some treats, and has oyster shell available at all times.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  2. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I will once in awhile have one like that...don't know why? Really soft shell that just breaks.

3. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Do yours go back to normal quickly though? She did that then started laying them shell-less...going on 3 weeks now.

4. maria22000

maria22000 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2008
    My older hen does that too She hasn't gone back to normal. She is 4-5 though so maybe that is normal then, I don't know.

5. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    Got another weak shell today but all others are good.

6. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Grrr....now I'm not even getting shell-less. I think she's heading towards the crock pot.

7. suburbanhomesteader

suburbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

I have had this problem with 5 of my Easter-eggers, but never had that problem with my production reds or barred rocks.

Not sure if it matters, but all the EEs were from McMurray; they were from 2 separate, year-apart batches of 10 each. So, of 20 EEs, 5 laid shell-less eggs.

I'm going to try Ideal Poultry next time and see if this is an EE thing or a genetics thing.

Oh....one more thing. Don't let anyone tell you this is a lack of calcium issue. I have isolated 4 of these birds, and they go through oyster shell at the same rate my other girls do.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  8. maria22000

maria22000 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2008
    Yeah, it's not a calcium issue here either.

9. KellyHM

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    Update - today this hen was egg bound! Like I really needed something else to deal with. I finally got the egg out of her and it was very rough, which I guess is why she was having problems with it. At least it had a shell on it. Now maybe things will get back to normal!!! [​IMG] Oh, and she's fine...no prolapses afterwards or anything like that...right back to pecking around 5 minutes after I washed her up and lubed her.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by