1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Older hen lethargic, not eating much, drinks good, poop watery with green pieces.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by flowergrdn, Jan 27, 2017.

1. flowergrdn

flowergrdn Just Hatched

Dec 19, 2016
    I have an older hen, nearly 4, who has been molting hard since Oct. Still a few of the tail feathers coming in. She has seemed tired this whole time. I understand they will be "tired" because of all of the energy exerted while growing new feathers. Since other hens were also going through various molts, we gave them extra protein with "molting" pellets and other foods to help. She's the only hen to have 100% of her feathers come in new.
    Lately, she seems more listless and this week I noticed she doesn't seem to be eating as much. Drinks a normal amount of water. There doesn't appear to be any other problems. No parasites externally that I can see. They were recently treated for coccidicus because I thought another hen was suffering from this. (I understand the Corid does not hurt ones who aren't suffering from this.) Respiratory health sounds and looks good. Has not laid since September (started molt soon after.)
    Could not eating good, lethargic, and watery, green poop be indicative of cancer or organ failure? Thanks!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. I have seen poops like this in hens with internal laying or egg yolk peritonitis, so you may want to do some reseaech on those conditions by Googling The Merck Veterinary Manual for either of those subjects. It may help to get a stool sample checked by your vet. Green poops can be a sign of not getting a lot to eat due to a poor appetite. Check her crop for signs of crop impaction or sour crop.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2017
  3. flowergrdn

flowergrdn Just Hatched

Dec 19, 2016
    Will look those things up on the Merck website. Crop feels good. Will check in AM to see if it emptied. Will check stool again tomorrow. I've only found this one poop from her this evening. Thanks so much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by