older hen not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by hobbychook, Mar 6, 2015.

1. hobbychook

hobbychook Out Of The Brooder

My oldest shaver is off the lay, but as its been awhile, i'm wondering if she will start again. I have her isolated as I wanted to find out who was/wasn't producing. She is over 4 yrs old & has featherless patches of skin, some of which on her backside are quite red looking.
    so-is it time to 'send her off' or should I hang in there for a little longer?

2. chicken-whisperer

chicken-whisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2011
    Vista San Diego County
    My four year old hen has laid off and on lately but is now not laying at all. I dont know what a shaver is but most people dont keep hens over three years as the feed to egg ratio is diminishing.

3. hobbychook

hobbychook Out Of The Brooder

Yes that's my predicament. It eats but doesnt produce (much). I have enough eggs from my other girls so dont really need her but still im struggling with the thought of 'removing' her. I have red & brown shavers, main production birds which I bought as pullets from a farm so they're great layers.

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    You have choices; the commercial most cost-efficient way is to eat the hens by the time they are two years old, maybe younger, depending on when they molt. Pet birds in home flocks stay into old age regardless of production. As a home flock owner, you can be as efficient or as nurturing as you choose to be. Some birds can be eaten, or sold or given away, some can stay forever. Birds will develop illnesses and have to be treated or killed. Right now I'm trying to decide if some of my two year old hens need to move on, and which roosters to keep for spring chicks. Decisions! I value longevity, and keep nice healthy birds as long as possible too. Mary

5. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    She shouldn't have red, featherless patches on her body unless she is sick or suffering from external parasites. She may begin laying again after this condition is treated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by