Older hen really agressive towards younger pullet.

lcahill

Songster
6 Years
May 5, 2013
Missouri, in my Urban backyard farm!
Ok, so a month ago I was given 25 laying hens from a friend that are 18 months old (I rehomed 8 hens to another friend). I already had a small flock of (23 total) 18 week and 10 week pullets at the time. I had no way to quarantine the birds so I bathed all the new birds and put them all together with the younger ones. So my flock is 40 birds in a 420 square foot run and coop. I have not seen any aggression between the flock as they worked out their new pecking order. All the older hens were laying and never stopped laying. My leghorns started laying last week. Yesterday I noticed one of the older hens was on top of another of the older hens pecking it quite viciously. I went to break it up and noticed that two of my young leghorns were bledding from comb and they were starting to be attacked by two particular Barred Rock hens. I have noticed that several of the BR hens seem to be more b!tchy than the rest and really assert their dominance over the rest of the flock to the point of being mean. I know that the pecking order is a social thing that is always changing and active but it seems that these two particular BR hens are overly aggressive. Has any one ever dealt with this kind of agression and should I be ready to cull them (which I have no problem in doing)?

Try removing them from the flock for several days. If upon reintroduction they continue to exhibit 'bad attitude', older hens make great soup or stew.

Yes they can be very aggressive if they want too or they might just be bored. hang a cabbage from there area for them to Peck on and see if it helps anything?It gives them something to do and something else to Peck on. It does take time to establish there order but keep an eye out to make sure they don't get too aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom