Older hen suddenly stops going in coop at night

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Mellowfields, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Mellowfields

Mellowfields New Egg

Nov 3, 2014
    Hi all, this is my first post, from the land of Oz.

Last night one of our hens, a Siverlaced Wyandotte, was on the porch by the back door when I got home after dark. We brought her in and kept her inside last night, suspecting she might be sick. She ate, drank a little bit and pooped. We kept her indoors until late morning. She hung outside with the other ladies and gents this afternoon/evening and then instead of going back to the coop at dark, she slowly made her way to the back door. She is one of two older hens in our flock of 22. She is about 5 years old. She has always been shy around the humans, so definitely odd behavior. We hatched some chicks in May and of the 6, 4 have proven to be roosters in the last couple weeks. We are thinking there is some rearranging of the pecking order going on and she just got kicked out. Any suggestions on what we might do to encourage her to go in the coop and or get the flock to accept her again? Or maybe there is something else going on... Thanks!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] My gut tells me that the cockerels are becoming sexually active and this hen has become one of their 'targets'. Unless I for some reason needed all of those cockerels, I would get rid of/eat them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by