Older hen vent fleet/ paste butt

DreamchaserT

In the Brooder
Aug 4, 2016
Maine
I have an older barred rock hen.
She is a rescue I've had two years.From her condition when I got her I assumed she was old anyway.
Last week she was perching hunched up and not filling her crop. Her crop is empty nk sour smell.
She also had a dirty bum. White not real bad.
AnywaybI brought her in for spa treatment bath soak message the whole works.
Probiotic in water. Crushed oats mixed with a little crumble.
Inside she is perky bright eyes wants to run the house. Not hunched up.
But after a week she still gets paste bum.
She wants to eat the cats food dog food rabbit food and what ever looks interesting on the floor lol..
But she hasn't eaten an amount of her food to be normal.
I'm trying to let her stretch her legs and not eat stuff until the oats and probiotic clear up the paste bum.
Her bum is a little swollen and pink.
She is not straining or sneezing. Seems content.
No bugs and was wormed with the others.
No other hens have dirty bums.
Never had one go this long
With gleet or paste bum.
I'm at a loss what to do different.
Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I have the same situation, except the two dirty butts are not lethargic or hunched over. Here's the question I was going to post, I hope you don't mind me piggy-backing on your post:

I have two 1- year old chickens who are otherwise healthy seeming, but have messy behinds. All other 13 chickens have nice fluffy butts. Is this a sign of illness? I gave some yogurt this morning, and I haves some Corid powder on hand. Will yogurt or corid help? Can anyone tell me teaspoons per gallon of the corid to give?

I have an older barred rock hen.
She is a rescue I've had two years.From her condition when I got her I assumed she was old anyway.
Last week she was perching hunched up and not filling her crop. Her crop is empty nk sour smell.
She also had a dirty bum. White not real bad.
AnywaybI brought her in for spa treatment bath soak message the whole works.
Probiotic in water. Crushed oats mixed with a little crumble.
Inside she is perky bright eyes wants to run the house. Not hunched up.
But after a week she still gets paste bum.
She wants to eat the cats food dog food rabbit food and what ever looks interesting on the floor lol..
But she hasn't eaten an amount of her food to be normal.
I'm trying to let her stretch her legs and not eat stuff until the oats and probiotic clear up the paste bum.
Her bum is a little swollen and pink.
She is not straining or sneezing. Seems content.
No bugs and was wormed with the others.
No other hens have dirty bums.
Never had one go this long
With gleet or paste bum.
I'm at a loss what to do different.
Any suggestions?
Can you post some photos?
Do you notice any swelling of the abdomen as well?
The hunching up is concerning - is she still doing that?

Try making a mash out of her normal feed to eat.

Try to keep her clean and if her bum is swollen and pink, you can add some epsom salts to a tub of water and let her soak. This may help with swelling. Dry her well. If she has vent gleet, then she probably has a discharge which is irritating. You can apply some antifungal cream topically to the vent to help heal and protect the skin.

Keep us posted.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/vent-gleet-aka-nasty-chicken-butt

http://www.tillysnest.com/2012/12/vent-gleet-prevention-and-treatment-html/
I have the same situation, except the two dirty butts are not lethargic or hunched over. Here's the question I was going to post, I hope you don't mind me piggy-backing on your post:

I have two 1- year old chickens who are otherwise healthy seeming, but have messy behinds. All other 13 chickens have nice fluffy butts. Is this a sign of illness? I gave some yogurt this morning, and I haves some Corid powder on hand. Will yogurt or corid help? Can anyone tell me teaspoons per gallon of the corid to give?
Hi @ikemiker it's usually best to start your own thread, that way you can get suggestions for your specific question. Post some photos and give a detailed description of your problem.

FWIW: Corid is a Coccidiostat that only treats Coccidiosis. Some symptoms of Cocci are lethargy, loss of balance, going off feed, diarrhea with mucous or blood and puffed/fluffed up appearance.

Last edited:
Grind up oats like quaker oatmeal and give it dry for paste butt .
My girl has no other symptoms except I can't stop the paste butt.
She has been having baths a and soaks and salve on her bum.
Usually probiotics and oats work.
Just not with her :(

Back
Top Bottom