1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Older hen with bare bottom

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by nthesaddle, May 29, 2016.

1. nthesaddle

nthesaddle New Egg

May 29, 2016
    So, I'm new to this site and I'm hoping to find info about an older hen in my flock that seems to have feathers missing around her vent and the others that are the same age do not. It just looks irritated or inflamed and not sure if I should intervene and treat it, if so, not sure what to do. Thanks in advance for any input.

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Add curtains to your nest boxes! Their bottoms are exposed to the other hens at the time they lay and egg.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Have you checked them over real well for mites and/or lice?
    Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.
    Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.
    Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

I've had some bare butted girls that had no bugs, some had very red skin that lasted for either just a few days or a few weeks but eventually went away, the feathers grew back after the molt. I don't worry about it too much unless I see bugs that need killing then use a poultry dust with permethrin, feathers still won't grow back until a molt tho.

This makes no sense at all.

Last edited: May 31, 2016
  4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

It DOES make sense!
    My apologize for trying to help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by