Older hen wouldn't get up this am

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Niss, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I have a red sexlink who is either 3 or more likely 2 yrs old (I've only had them since spring). When I opened up the coop today she didn't move. I thought she may be dead but she was breathing, slightly labored though. She had her head streched out and down, eyes closed. She didn't move when I pet her, but did open her eyes and looked at me when I moved her. I have her in a box in the garage, which is very cool and a bit damp compaired to the coop. When I went back down with water she had her head off the floor and eyes open, but didn't move.

I am at work, and can't do anything until this evening. If she is alive, what should be done?

I didn't notice her acting sick yesterday. What should I look for with the others? What should I do for them?

I am thinking about taking them all some yogurt in case it's related to eating food they kicked on to the floor or fouled water--can't hurt. I'll also look for external parisites...I haven't noticed any, but that doesn't mean they are not there. Where would they congrgate? Should I deworm the flock? I've never done it; I haven't noticed anything suspicious. Is the deworming stressful to them? If so should I avoid it?

Edit to add:
    DDawn linked threads about internal laying to another member's question. Might that be the issue?

I will say that overall production has been down, but I don't know exactly who's is who's to say when I last had an egg from this one. Please, please advise. I am not that worried about one hen, but I feel I need to know what to look for so I can protect the rest of the flock.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  2. Niss

Apr 29, 2011
    I don't have good internet at home, and I'd really appreciate help before 4, so I can stop for suplies/meds that could help.

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Well, I am worried about one hen..your hen...because she feels utterly awful ......and hope she can be helped.
    Unfortunately her symptoms could be indicative of so many different things that it's impossible to say with certainty what's going on.
    Since it's not known when her last egg was, we don't know if she's eggbound or having an internal laying problem. For the latter, antibiotic may help. For the former (eggbound) I would give one Tums crushed in a bit of water administered via dropper gently along her beak line so she swallows on her own and doesn't choke. For eggbound a warm bathc an also help. If a bird isn;t eggbound and really feels dreadful from something else, these things may just serve as added unwelcomed stressors. Is her comb nice and red or is it pale? Do your hens have oyster shell available at all times? What is their diet?
    Is she eating and drinking? Have you seen the condition of her poop? Normal? Abnormal?
    She could also have a viral or bacterial issue in which case she may need meds.
    Nutritional supplements can't hurt and may help. Avia Charge 2000 if you have it,or Rooster Booster. If you don't have you can order on line but since that will take time, see what you can get locally. Can also try baby parrot hand feeding formula.
    Looking as bad as you describe, this girl really feels dreadful. A vet may be the best bet to save her. If not an option, you can try some of these other things and we'll hope one of them helps.
    I would have her in a very comfy area, just the right temp, with all her creature comforts close at hand. And a good buddy visiting with her, if she has ione, as this may lift her spirits.
    Post anything at all that you notice to help folks help you narrow this down.
    JJ

4. Niss

Apr 29, 2011
    Thank you!

Her comb was still red when I found her, but I have't been able to check on her all day. I moved her to the garage since I didn't want to leave her with the others incase the harras her or it's catching. I put food and water right in front of her.

I do not know what her poo looks like. I did not notice any bad poop (check out a photo filled thread someone had linked to), but I wasn't looking closely since I didn't realize there was a problem until I found her in that sad state.

She was eating yesterday.

Oyster shell is usually availble on the side, but when I filled the dish over the weekend I used the last of the bag, so I haven't given them any and they are probably out by now.

They get a locally produced mix of cracked/coarse ground oats, corn, and wheat--It's what she was feed by her last owner. She also has a run and I free range them in the evening. I gave mozzerella as yeasterday's treat.

I didn't check her vent this am, can't report of condition. The hubby was irritated I spent as much time with her as I did since we were running late when I first opened the door to let them out.

We haven't added new birds in a few months, but she and her cohorts joined my group of pullets I had from TSC, and shortly after they came I got birds from two local breeders.

5. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    They need to be on a good nutritionally complete feed. At minimum you have a nutritional deficiency going on. You can get layer food. for the hens and have it available at all times. Mine get game bird maintenance instead because they prefer it and because that's good for my roo. Oyster shell is available at all times so that calcium is not an issue as it would otherwise be with game bird maintenance.
    While awaiting Avia Charge or other in the mail, you could give her 3 drops Polyvisol liquid children's vitamins daily (not as well rounded as Avia but better than nothing in a pinch), adminstered via dropper gently along her beak line so she swallows on her own and doesn't choke. The stuff tastes like crud so follow with something tasty like cut up blueberries or whatever she likes. She's in some serious trouble - vitamins alone are not the sole answer but getting nutritionally strong is always good.
    Hubby would probably like time and attention if he was feeling as bad as your poor hen is (sorry, I couldn't resist!)
    JJ

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Inspect her for lice/mites. She is possibly eggbound, like JJ stated, soak in warm water up to her sides and massage her underside for about 15-20 minutes. Worms are a good possibility as well.

7. Niss

Apr 29, 2011
    She's gone.

The husband wouldn't allow a necropsy. She did leave a small puddle (2T maybe) of opaque white snotty stuff--sound like egg bound???

I looked around the yard and didn't see any wierd/bad poo.
    I checked 4 hens and saw lice on one. I'll read up on the best way to treat them.

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sorry you lost her. I recommend that you use sevin dust. Dust all your chickens and inside their house and nests. Repeat dusting in 10 days to kill nits that have hatched from eggs. Here's a link for you to take a look at:
    http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

9. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Very sad [​IMG]
    JJ

10. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Sorry you lost her. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by