Older Hens and Young Roosters

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GrandmaCluck, Jan 13, 2010.

1. GrandmaCluck

GrandmaCluck Out Of The Brooder

Jun 23, 2009
    I started with 2 hens from a person who had dog issues. They are about 3 yrs old - good layers. Never were brought up with a roo. In order to help heat the coop, I ordered 20 chicks. I ended up with 33 chickens. 3 are new roos. 28 are new hens. and then the 2 older hens (RC and Cinnamon). Cinnamon ran the roost. Now that the roos are "of age" - the story is different. When they would all go outside in the fenced in run, there wasn't much of a problem. But with the cold and snow they do not like to go outside. RC and Cinnamon will not come down from the roosting branch except to go in the nesting box. RC lives on top of the nesting boxes and lays her eggs there. I have had to feed them and give them water there because they won't come down - when they do, all 3 roos are after them. It's like a game of "Get the Virgin!" The reason I have roos is because I liked the crowing. I ordered 2 roos in case one didn't make it but received 3. What do you suggest I do?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by