1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Older Hens mad at new younger hens? Help

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by zabrielle23, Oct 18, 2015.

1. zabrielle23

zabrielle23 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2015
    tylertown, ms
    My hens that I have had for about a year stopped laying soon as I got new hens my new hens are 7 1/2 months old and about 5 to 7 are laying eggs a day out of 11 hens. Any ideas on getting my other hens to lay.

2. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    The nonlaying hens, what breed are they? How old? Are they molting or is there a chance they are laying outside the nest boxes?

3. zabrielle23

Jan 30, 2015
    tylertown, ms
    2 rhode island reds 1 barred rock and 1 dominic one of the rhode island reds may be but the other ones seem pretty old. Ones feet is shedding and the rhode island red that maybe molting is a year maybe when we bought her it took about two months for her to start laying her feathers seem un neat if that makes a difference the other ones are pretty normal as far as feathers go. Any advice is apreciated.

4. zabrielle23

Jan 30, 2015
    tylertown, ms
    These are the hens that are not laying
    [​IMG]
    the one looking at the camera is the youngest
    [​IMG]

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They do appear to be in a slow molt, poorer layers take longer to molt.

6. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    X2. If a hen looks raggedy she is probably molting. I have some molting now. Sometimes in this time frame if they're molting they may not start laying until after the winter solstice when the days start to lengthen again. But I certainly hope not. I'm giving mine some dog kibble every day. The higher protein is supposed to help them grow feathers quicker and get over the molt faster. We'll see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by