older hen's peckin' /bothering new chickens

stcath95

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 8, 2010
I have 9 Easter Egger's....14 months old-------just received a pair of 6 week old Coronation Sussex.....other chicks pecking at them....currently seperated in cage inside coop 8X10...will they adjust at this point..time tables?...build a new separate area......some EE will not go out of the coop building into 200 sg ft run...what about them.??....chain link fence under 6"dirt floor/chain link walls/chain link roof...leave coop door open 24/7....run 6 foot tall at back...drops to 4 feet on outside wall...{wish I had made it 6 foot tall all around}
10X20...THANKS for any feedback !! Kenny...looking for pair Silver Sussex !!!

Most folks don't introduce newbies to a flock until they are about the same size as the mature, existing flock for the very reasons you mentioned. Do you ever free range your birds?? That seems to be an easier way to introduce new birds without a lot of bullying.
I would partition off part of your run so that the new birds can get out and about through the safety of wire and give them several more weeks before trying integration. It sounds as if you didn't quarantine at all, so that's a moot point now.
Every flock is different (some breeds and some birds are more aggressive and territorial than others). It took about two months for my existing flock to accept two pullets I introduced, but some integrations go faster than that.
When you do integrate fully, make sure you have more than one feeder and waterer available (set at opposite ends), and roosts and barriers in the run to give the newbies a place to hide/escape to in case of bullying.

Back
Top Bottom