Older hens picking on pullets

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Hinotoriflame, Apr 1, 2015.

1. Hinotoriflame

Hinotoriflame New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    Austin Texas
    Hi,

I have 3 pullets, a Barred Plymouth Rock and 2 Rhode Island reds. I recently introduced them into my flock and my hens are bullying them. They are definitely ready to be integrated, they are 13 weeks old now, bodies covered in feathers. I am just wondering if this eventually stops or if there is anything I can do to alleviate the stress on them.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Give as much space as possible, multiple water and food stations.
    An established flock hates outsiders that they view as a threat to the health and well being of the flock.

3. Hinotoriflame

Hinotoriflame New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    Austin Texas

Thank you so much for the quick reply! I will try that.

4. Hinotoriflame

Hinotoriflame New Egg

Apr 1, 2015
    Austin Texas
    OK, so first off I would like to say thank you all again for the fast replies. I tried the multiple food and water stations, I also gave them free romp of my entire yard, instead of their run area. The pullets are no longer getting picked on, unless they go into an area that the hens see as their territory, where they immediately chase them away! I have been trying this for 2 weeks now and the hens refuse to allow them into the flock! The pullets are too afraid to even go near them. I was wondering if there is anything else I can do to up my chances of them becoming part of the group? The group of hens I have are Delaware's, I have heard and read that they can have an attitude. Does this have anything to do with what I am experiencing? I also have a few Ameraucanas.

5. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    One option would be to switch things up - confine the older birds so that they are kept out of the territory they are most fiercely defending and allow the new birds to have a chance to become comfortable in that area. Then when you start integrating the groups again the older birds are the newcomers. This sort of shift of the balance can sometimes help to hit a "reset" button on flock dynamics and allow for a smoother integration.
    That being said, unless serious physical injury is occurring *I* would probably just wait and see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by