1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Older hens & young chicks - how to separate feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Bumpa, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Bumpa

Bumpa New Egg

Sep 1, 2016
    BiI've got 3 hens that are 3 years old and eat lay pellets. I just bought 3 new chicks (two weeks old). When I put them out with the older hens, what is the best way to keep their feed separate. Chick starter & lay pellets, so they won't be eating each others food?
    Thanks,
    Bill

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    You can't. They will eat each other's feed.
    You need to feed the whole flock starter/grower/all flock feed and provide crushed oyster shell in a separate container.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Just give one feed that is safe for all, which is basically anything other than layer. Layer is for actively laying birds only, but it isn't really needed at all. There is no magic ingredient in it. It's just regular feed with a lot less protein and a whole lot more calcium. All other types of feed can be fed for the entire lifetime of any chicken. The only thing extra that layers need is a source of calcium, which is easily provided by offer crushed oyster shell separate from the feed.

4. Bumpa

Bumpa New Egg

Sep 1, 2016
    Thank you for your knowledge on this. I will do just that.
    Bill

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by