Older roos may kill my 6 week olds

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Airplaneguy57, Jul 12, 2010.

1. Airplaneguy57

Airplaneguy57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Rio Medina Texas
    I have 26 BOs. They are kept in a kennel in full view of the rest of the birds. Now and then one will make a break for it only to be attacked by the bigger boys. I freak and catch the baby make sure she is well. I catch the offender, really want to send him to camp but I can tell, too young. I don't think the older girls would hurt the babies so I was thinking of putting the boys up in the kennel and let the babies run the yard. What do you folks do to keep the little ones from getting killed

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello! Unfortunately, I always have to wait until the younger ones are adult sized before I mix them. Hens or Roosters both will kill a smaller chick if they can, so I don't like to risk putting different sizes together.

Wish I had better news for ya!

Sharon

3. MMPoultryFarms

MMPoultryFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    Okarche Oklahoma
    I Got around 35 roo's on my yard I have rarely any fights and occasional chest bumping. Main thing i think,(or works for me anyhow) is to provide as much room as possible for the roo's. Second you take the bully shoes Let them know your boss and the only person kicking chicken butt is you. (I toss em from behind like a lil football softly while yelling NO!! loudly) Chickens are repetitive birds so the more routine you do things the more they learn. I firm Pecking from the tip of your finger works to establish the Boss shoes.
    My birds in the yard are all ages and sizes it worked for me maybe it will work for you..

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I am lucky in that my big Brahma boys always tolerate even the tiniest chicks and let them feed between their feathery legs at the chicken feeder.

the only problem I have is with a stroppy warren who will try to send anything off. I stand by the chicken feeder and , if she tries to keep it for herself (which she usually does), I push her away from the side and say "NO!' loudly. She is doing it less an less.

sandie

5. NanoByte

NanoByte Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Sydney
    I highly doubt it because chickens wont peck to kill.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by