older rooster??

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Necklace, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Necklace

Necklace Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2014
    Hello.. I posted a thread about a week ago on humanly ending one of my roosters lives.. well update.. I could not do it.. yes I am a wuss... probably the biggest one out there.. well my old rooster is still kicking but he is refusing food.. he will eat a little bit when lock him up alone at night but not much.. when he is out during the day he will not take food from me at all.. he looks really run down... does this mean he might pass soon?

When a rooster is knocked down in rank from the top to the bottom do they usually just loose all hope of life?

I am asking for my daughter she is really attached to him and she is worried..

2. Jetblack2004

Jetblack2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2016
    East Sussex
    He could easily be with you for a while yet, if he's still eating a bit. I don't think chickens just give up when they're at the bottom of the pecking order. Make sure you encourage him to drink as that is important.
    I'm afraid there isn't a cure for old age and there's no telling what age he'll pass.

-Jet

1 person likes this.
  3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Sorry your guy is down. [​IMG]
    I'm sorry if I ask too many questions since I didn't see your other thread about this guy.

I honestly don't think I could put down a chicken in my first many years of keeping. We decided a long time ago that we wouldn't support the chicken industry and talked openly about it for a couple years before reaching the point where we do process and eat our extra boys and I think that might be easier than putting down one that I was attached to even if I knew it was the right thing to do. Now I have the skill to do it, but doesn't make it easy. I know I could not have done it prior to this year. And still don't think I could do my goats or dogs if they were injured.

Did anybody share the CO2 method with you? Not that I think it's a great idea, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do and that way seems to be the easiest for the tender hearted. Do you have a vet that might do it affordably?

How old is your guy? Have you checked or treated him for parasites? Why are you considering putting him down? What are you feeding him including treats and supplements? What size is your flock?

Being knocked down is part of the pecking order. And might not be a depression issue for some but for others it will and could diminish their will to thrive. Each animal is an individual. Does he have other health issues?

I doubt I can be anymore help than what you already received... but that won't stop me from trying! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. Necklace

Dec 4, 2014
    He is at least 4 going on 5.. I know his time is near. :(

5. EggSighted4Life

Many birds are living until 10...

So I wouldn't count age as the only factor.

I would give him some scrambled egg. And if you think he is in pain some aspirin in the water... though I haven't researched the correct dosage yet.

1 person likes this.
  6. Necklace

Dec 4, 2014
    Thank you.. I will give that a try. :)

7. EggSighted4Life

Well, egg is loaded with micro nutrients and protein.

If he has been fed layer his whole life, he might be having kidney issues. I would avoid the extra calcium if possible as it can cause issues for any bird not in lay especially long term. Many people don't get necropsies when their birds pass so they may not know if it was an issue. But I have seen it on a few occasions here on BYC. As well as done my own research so I feed my crew flock raiser with OS on the side because I always have mixed ages and genders and I just can't feasibly keep chicks out of layer and vice versa. Also some may never keep their birds long enough to know problems would arise. I'm not saying switch if you use layer, just sharing possibilities.

I would actually give him some poultry nutridrench, as sold at the feed stores. It has a pretty good track record if you aren't already supplementing any vitamins or probiotics. Or a homemade electrolyte solution is 2 cups warm water, 2 tablespoons brown sugar (white or molasses is OK), 1/2 teaspoon each salt and baking soda. Stir until dissolved and serve full strength. 1/2 teaspoon salt substitute and a few drops of Poly Vi Sol baby vitamins with NO iron if you have them are good additions to the base recipe. The B vitamins is what's important.

DO you want me to look at your other thread to see if I have any more suggestions? How old is your daughter? I really feel like losing pets when we are younger helps us to deal when we are older and lose someone really close to us. Not that that makes it any better, just trying to share a little comfort with you. It is sooo hard to see our kids hurt and know their pain is real! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. EggSighted4Life

Also, if it hasn't been that long since your boy was dethroned, maybe he is still in shock. Different birds will respond differently. Just don't give up on him yet.

But since I don't know the whole story... it's possible he was dethroned BECAUSE his health was fading.

Chickens being prey animals will do everything they can to hide illness or weakness because their life depends on it. By the time we notice something, it is often much farther along then we realize.

Nature is kind of brutal. [​IMG]

Going without feed a little won't kill him. Dehydration will.

1 person likes this.
  9. Necklace

Dec 4, 2014
    No I have just been feeding them layer feed and there egg shells for calcium... I will try the other feed for him and see how he does.. my daughter is 14 .. she knows death but it hits her like a truck.

10. EggSighted4Life

Feed may not have anything to do with it, I was just mentioning it... [​IMG]

I guess I was just trying to comfort you about your daughters' pain, I know it is hard!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by