Older runner ducklings and night time temp question.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pinkfoxfarm, Apr 10, 2012.

1. pinkfoxfarm

pinkfoxfarm Chirping

Oct 6, 2011
    In LaLaLand
    ive got a batch of 6 runner ducklings who are now 5 weeks old yesterday.
    theyve been living outside with NO suplimental heat since 3 1/2 weeks old, but out temps have been pretty steady in the upper 70's to mid 80's during the day and in the 50's at night. they are doing fine, good eaters, active, silly..., belly and chest have actual feathers, as do under the wings and around the eyes, but their backs are still down.
    they have a small "house" (4ft long, 2 ft tall and 2 ft deep) with a 6" layer of shavings, and a small sheltered run attatched...so no worries about drafts and no worries about a huge shelter to try and heat...i knwo small spaces retain body heat better)

Well tonight our temps are supposed to drop down to possibly as low as 36 degrees...
    Im just worried since there not completly fully feathered yet...despite being out for almost 2 weeks, is 36 degrees too low for 5 week old ducklings
    I have no way to run power to their house so if 36 is going to be too low for them im going to have to bring them in tonight which means setting the brooder box back up (and they will be MAD lol) but i dont wnt them to freeze to death either). the only water they have acess to IN the run is via a water bottle, so im not worried about them getting wet and chilled...

Opinions? thoughts? whats "too cold" for 1/2 a dozen 5 week old runners?

2. country_girl011

country_girl011 Songster

Aug 7, 2011
    ohio
    in my opinion they will be just fine.
    by 2 7 week old ducklings have been outside since they started getting feathers,
    with having soo many they will keep eachother warm at night.
    just make sure it is draft free.

3. pinkfoxfarm

pinkfoxfarm Chirping

Oct 6, 2011
    In LaLaLand
    thanks. their little house is draft free and they do tend to form a ducky pile lol.
    there such odd little creatures and i love watching them run around in a little herd, i think runner ducks have a hive mind lol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by