older silkie chicks keep dying...why?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Merchris, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Merchris

Merchris Out Of The Brooder

Feb 1, 2008
    I have two batches of silkie chicks that we got and we've been keeping them in a smaller cage seperate from our other chickens, but 3 times now we have gone out in the morning to one being dead. It's almost like it got squished or something. This morning one died and there were only 5 chicks in the cage. I would say that they are about 5-6 wks old maybe. I have never had this happen with chicks, ever. I am totally bummed because I love my silkie chicks and I feel like I'm doing something horribly wrong right now. Oh, I should mention that the two batches of chicks are not together, I had two different cages going. I would really appreciate any help because this is just awful.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm sorry to hear about your losses [​IMG] Can you tell us a bit more? What have you been feeding them? What's the brooder temperature? Etc.

3. Fancychooklady

Fancychooklady Chicken Obsessed

Jun 14, 2012
    Tasmania. Australia
    Sorry to hear about your babies[​IMG]what are you feeding them? I lost a few silkies to choking. They will try to eat things that they just can't get down. I also lost one that choked when a roosters tail feather wrapped around its little throat. Best to stick to chick starter and keep them away from the rest of the flock is the lesson I learned.

4. Merchris

Feb 1, 2008
    They are eating starter feed. During the day I let them run around in an empty horse stall until they're big enough to go stay with the older crew.

I haven't been keeping a warmer on them anymore. It's been very warm at night where I am, so I didn't think I needed it anymore once they got all fuzzy and bigger.

5. Merchris

Feb 1, 2008
    Any other suggestions as to what is going on? I'm almost afraid to get more peepers until I know why this is happening.

6. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    As a precaution, I would treat for Coccidiosis. You say that they are roaming around a horse stall during the day. Perfect for Coccidia to breed. Treat with Corid. Treat all of them. If they have it, it will save the rest..if they don't, it won't hurt them.

Hope this helps and good luck with your babies :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by