Oldest and youngest ages for processing dual-purpose chickens???

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by suzettex5, Jul 10, 2010.

1. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    I am wondering about some of my dual purpose laying flock. I have a few more than I want and I'm considering eating instead of selling them. Some are older than others so, I was wondering what ages are the best to eat. At what age would you think a hen is really a bit too old to consume without major stewing or massive cooking times?

What is the oldest and youngest you have processed, and what methods did you use to cook them at each age group?

2. Wolfwoman

Wolfwoman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Chickaloon, Alaska
    [​IMG]

3. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sorry I can`t help you....waiting to see the replies you get as I am interested in the very same question.

4. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    Please forgive this illegal bump- I'm getting hungry!! [​IMG]

5. Menmyrc

Menmyrc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2010
    Maricopa, AZ
    I think most people plan on 18-24 weeks. However, it doesn't really matter how old. What matters is how you cook it. The older birds need to be cooked long and slow with moisture added. The youngest ones can be fried or grilled. I have a couple 18 wk olds in the fridge. Can't wait to see how they are!

6. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    We process out the extra roos at 4-5 months old. That way they have a good amount of meat.

We have processed hens up to 5 years old. If you age the bird in the fridge a few days before cooking you don't have to stew as long. Most older birds are pressure cooked, deboned, and chopped for BBQ, soup, or dumplings.

Matt

7. bigoakhunter

bigoakhunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Michigan
    I once had to process some extra roo's, (packing peanuts) at 15 weeks cause they were causing too much chaos. They are not bad, nice eating, but a bit on the small side. So I would wait till 18 weeks at least if I could.

8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    We waited on our extra roo's till we couldn't stand it no more. When they are competitive crowing or chasing our unwilling hens, and everyone's yelling HELLLLLLLP HELLLLLLLLP. If you listen closely that is what they are saying, when getting beat up. I am in process of culling extras from Nov and Feb hatches. Most of it is going to make dog and cat food. They all have tongues hanging out as I'm pulling guts. Its crazy.

9. Twiggers96

Twiggers96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2011
    Arcadia, FL
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by