1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oldest Bantams

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dixiedog, Oct 30, 2011.

1. dixiedog

dixiedog Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2009
    Tampa
    We have three bantams that are 7 years old. What is the oldest bantam you have owned?

2. waterchicken

waterchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    As of yet, none. [​IMG] (getting some silkies soon... I hope.) [​IMG]

3. waterchicken

Oct 28, 2011
    How often do yours lay eggs???? [​IMG]

4. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    I have some banty EEers who are between 4 and 5 years old. Rarely lay, but I love those buggers.[​IMG]

5. waterchicken

Oct 28, 2011
    mmm... TY [​IMG]

6. doreenmcd

doreenmcd New Egg

Jan 15, 2011
    I was given a dozen Cochin banty chicks 6 years ago. I still have 2 hens (Biddie and Lorraine) and they each lay an egg every couple of weeks. Of the 12-day old chicks, 6 were roosters! Two of the hens met their demise at the hands of a raccoon, one to a weasel and one to a coyote. They are the best mother hens.

7. Mrshollywood

Mrshollywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Gig Harbor, WA
    I have an old English bantam hen LOLA, who was given to me last year and I was told she was at least 6 years old.... She is the Best mom and lays one tiny egg a year when she goes broody. Of course it isn't fertilized because the rooster doesn't dare do anything but protect her LOL
    So we give her some eggs to hatch and she is happy as can be! She protected her chicks from a hawk and was carried off across the yard and managed to get away by the time we ran outside. She had a couple bald spots but went right back to her babies and made sure they were safe!!!!!
    She is sweet and loves to be held when it's cold outside :)
    Last winter we (ok ME) brought her in the house when it dropped down to 25 one night.
    I just LOVE that little hen!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2011
  8. silkielover5

silkielover5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    Hudson WI
    i have one shes 11 years old. she doesnt lay eggs anymore but she does go broody alot and she puts the peacock in place

9. waterchicken

Oct 28, 2011
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by