Oldest Consistent Egg Layers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by orrpeople, Aug 24, 2016.

1. orrpeople

orrpeople Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2016
    Redding, CA
    What breed are your oldest, yet consistent, egg layers?

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    My welsummers.

3. orrpeople

Jun 15, 2016
    Redding, CA
    How old are they? Eggs per week? Because our girls are dual purpose (by that I mean eggs and pets[​IMG]) we would really love to find a breed that lays well past their 2nd birthday!

4. Sweet Basil

Sweet Basil Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2014
    Arkansas, USA
    Our Buff Orpington has laid about 2-4 eggs per week this summer, and she'll be five years old next month.

We had a Leghorn mix and a Rhode Island Red who each laid 4-5 eggs per week up until they died at about 4 1/2 years old.

None of them lay much while molting, though, or in the winter. I think the Rhode Island Red was our best layer in cold weather -- maybe 2-3 eggs per week (sometimes 4 or 5 per week in the winter when she was young).

5. orrpeople

Jun 15, 2016
    Redding, CA
    That's so good to hear! I wonder if allowing them the winter slow down (no added light) might also extend their laying years?

6. Sweet Basil

Sweet Basil Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2014
    Arkansas, USA
    Could be. I wonder if all that egg laying is hard on them. We've owned chickens over five years now, and our highest-producing hens from our original group died earlier this year, while a couple of hens who didn't lay quite as often are still going strong. (The Orpington I mentioned is one of them.)

7. snywalker

snywalker Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2014
    I had a rir who was 4 and would lay about 5 a week in the summer. But she died.

I have 2 barred rocks who are 5 and lay every other day (opposite days) so they are consistent, but it's not many.

8. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    I would think that if I went into labor 200 or so days a year, I'd be quite ready for a break now and then. Lol, I'd have to go to Mexico on vacation! I would, and do, give them a break. I think it's better for their overall health to let nature take its course,

9. carlf

carlf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2016
    Mobile, AL
    I was thinking the same thing while responding to another post!

I had 9 RIRx BR BSLs back in high school, for close to 3 years, I got 7-9 eggs per day, even in winter. But I kept lights on in the coop 24/7 in December - February.

My BRs are now 2 1/2 and I get 4-6 eggs each per week from them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by