Administrator
BYC Staff
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Dec 26, 2006
California - SF East Bay
My Coop
My Coop
My mom had a quart of milk that went a little sour. She was going to use it for choc. milk. It got more sour... she was going to use it for baking or something.. It got more sour and I suggested we use it a spackle
wink.png
tongue.png

Well, in the fridge it sat, unopened but bulging. I was scared to death to open it and pour it down the drain. I was chatting with a chicken expert friend of mine, Gardeninggranny, and she said I could just give it to my chickens.

I took it outside and opened it carefully and expected a solid mass of worst smelling goo.... well, it actually didn't smell 1/4 as bad as I expected and it was mostly liquid... I was pretty shocked.

They were confused at first and stood there looking at it for about 3 mins. Then my RIR took a little taste and started going after it. My Delaware went up to her and tasted a drop off of the RIR's beak and then she went after it... from there it was a free for all.
smile.png

Hi,

I would never have thought to give the milk to the chickens! As long as they didn't get sick, why not? I almost always have milk that doesn't get used in time and down the drain it goes, but not anymore! Thanks for the hint! Genie

Wow! Thanks Nifty!!! I just HATE throwing anything out, but never thought of giving it to the chickens. We waste a lot of milk because I don't like it even a few days before it's sour so they will actully be getting milk that most people would still drink!!

I almost NEVER either throw it out or even feed it to chickens, I bake with it... but yeah it won't hurt them either. [edit] of course it doesn't usually get to that point of spoiled either! LOL

Last edited:
My the time it is in that state it is closer to cheese and whey instead of milk. Good stuff. It wouldn't kill you to eat, Nifty. When milk is gone the answer is always - make cheese!

The kids are always leaving some milk in their bowls after they eat breakfast (whatever happened to drinking the milk out of the bowl?) so it goes in the pan of scraps to go to the chickens. Seems like anything dairy is always a favorite. They like cheese, cottage cheese, yogurt, milk....chickens are weird.

I have always given my chickens milk. After I make cheese, they get that, too. I just need to find like a cast iron pan to put it in so they don't knock it over. That's the only problem, they'll all be going at it and spill it. I hate wasting anything. They even get all the kitchen scraps now that the pigs are in the freezer.

Kris

Back
Top Bottom