Old'ish chick bit/stung by something (Swelling)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickenlove64, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Chickenlove64

Chickenlove64 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2013
    So I have an old'ish silver laced Wyandotte chick that was bit/stung by something while they were outside. Although, I didn't notice until I was sitting outside almost 4 days ago. I noticed the side of her face was swollen up and her eye was closed shut. I don't really know what to do... Could someone please help? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. myneek

myneek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2014
    I think you'll need to take her to a vets. It looks as if there in an infection and she'll need it checked and some antibiotics to go with it i suspect.

3. Chickenlove64

Jul 30, 2013
    I was thinking about that. We don't really know if she was stung or bit but it definitely swelled up a lot. And those are recent- It was much worse when I first saw it

4. myneek

myneek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2014
    She could have something in there, if she forges around they can get a stick or twig in there and cause an infection.

5. Chickenlove64

Jul 30, 2013
    True. When we just found out about it, we saw a small hole where she was stung/bit/poked. It looks like she was stung so were gonna have to have a look at her eye

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    A sting could cause that swelling as well as a respiratory infection such as MG or coryza which causes swelling of the sinus on one or both sides. Seeing a mark that looks like a sting helps to distinguish it from infection, but if she develops any runny nose, sneeze or cough, or any chest rattles, she may need some antibiotics such as Tylan 50 injectible or oxytetracycline in the water. Since she has had it for 4 days, it could be respiratory. Here is a list of common diseases where you will also find symptoms of MG and coryza: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  7. Chickenlove64

Jul 30, 2013
    I'm afraid to say that she's gotten worse. The antibiotics my mom is giving her aren't helping anymore and her eye is still swollen. My mom picked some of the infection out, but it only made her eye bleed. My mom is saying that she's going to die and keeping her alive like this isn't helping.

I really don't want her to die...

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    How are you giving the antibiotics, and what are you giving? If they are in the water, they won't help unless she is drinking them. The Tylan50 can be given as a shot or given directly by mouth, so that would work better. Sorry about your hen. Does she have any symptoms of a respiratory disease such as coughing, rattles in her throat, nasal or eye drainage?

9. Chickenlove64

Jul 30, 2013
    Sorry for late reply, I had to go to my friends house to complete a math assignment. Were injecting the antibiotics directly into the mouth and were using erythromycin and tetracycline. I've noticed (Today and yesterday) that when she walks/stands she's incredibly wobbly and the side of her face that has the eye problem has a closed nose flap. When she stands still, she lets her neck fall back and her chest area goes straight up in the air. I've also noticed one of our other chickens has the eye! It's one of our new, just now laying Barred rock hens.

10. Chickenlove64

Jul 30, 2013
    I'm honestly surprised shes still alive... Yesterday we found her on her back laying under the coop and I thought for sure she wasn't going to make it. We put her in a box full of straw and put her in our barn surrounded by blankets. She still looks really bad and I'm not sure if she's going to make it. If anyone would like pictures of her current condition, feel free to ask.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by