Olive Egger Black Australorps?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by icebox, Mar 1, 2017.

1. icebox

icebox Just Hatched

Feb 21, 2017
    **Im still new, so if this is the wrong place to post, please help.**

I bought two BA (and two Sussex) pullets last month (and 3 different other breeds this past week, which are separated).
    One (BA) finally started laying this past weekend. I didn't check on my birds for two days, then, to my surprise, I walked in and saw 3 light olive eggs sitting in a nest. Then, I come home today and find another (with a small black feather attached) sitting there waiting.

My two girls look very much BA. I spoke with the "breeder" to tell him and then asked if he knew of any Ameraucana or mix somewhere in the line. He said none that he was aware of, because the mature ones he has all lay light brown eggs (his pullets from the same batch as mine haven't started laying yet).

Is this common? What could be the reason?

[​IMG]
    This is two of them next to an Ameraucana egg..... And I'm trying to find a way to upload the pics of my girls, but I'm on my phone..

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Can you post some photos of the "BA" in question - that will be helpful.. Are the BA and Sussex the only birds in that pen (the feather is not necessarily indicative of who laid the egg, which is why I'm asking)?
    You use "breeder" - is he hatching the chicks himself from eggs from his flock or is he ordering from a hatchery and selling the excess chicks from his orders?

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Someone is not as advertised. Neither of those breeds lay green eggs, so you've got a different breed.

Agree we need pics of the birds in question to ID who and what they really are.

They're very pretty eggs, what a happy accident [​IMG]

4. icebox

icebox Just Hatched

Feb 21, 2017
    Yes, the Sussex and BAs are the only ones in the coop. I have the others separated.

By stating the black feather, I was saying it's "embedded" on the egg. It clearly came off the girl who laid it.

I have a terrible memory. I'm not sure if he had a rooster and got rid of it, or bred them some other way (i.e. brought one in, etc), but he didn't buy some and pass them on. They came from his original flock. As I said, he's got a number of BAs already in his flock and they've always laid tan eggs.

Here's the two BAs with one Sussex.
    [​IMG]
    For some reason I can't post multiple pics, so I'll just post one pic per...

5. icebox

icebox Just Hatched

Feb 21, 2017
    I don't have any pics of them in good light, but they both are very black with the trademark green sheen in the right light. I'm a beginner, but I'm pretty positive they're Black Australorps.
    [​IMG]

6. icebox

icebox Just Hatched

Feb 21, 2017
    [​IMG]

7. icebox

icebox Just Hatched

Feb 21, 2017
    They're all about 21 weeks old.
    [​IMG]
    Here's her butt.

8. icebox

icebox Just Hatched

Feb 21, 2017
    This is all very bizarre to me. Another of the "new ones" laid today. I believe it's the actual Olive Egger, but my BA or Sussex are laying "more olive-r" eggs than her!
    [​IMG]
    The top one I think is the Olive Egger, the bottom two are from the Ameraucana and the rest (left to right middle) are the ones in question.

I know the top one looks similar to the bottom two, but it's the camera. It's color is basically between the other two colors.

9. icebox

icebox Just Hatched

Feb 21, 2017
    Oooh, here's a decent one (again, on my phone, but I think I can see the green).

[​IMG]

10. icebox

icebox Just Hatched

Feb 21, 2017
    [​IMG]

I hope these are plenty. Let me know if more pics or info are needed and I'll snap some at next daylight.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by