Olive egger but no olive eggs???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by freshfish, Oct 6, 2011.

1. freshfish

freshfish Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    South of San Antonio
    I was told I had an Olive Egger but I have yet to see an Olive egg. Is olive egger a breed or just an EE that lays olive green eggs? I will try to post a picture of her later.

John

2. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    As far as I know an Olive egger is an EE that lays olive colored eggs and may lay different shades of "olive" color.

I crossed Dels with green and blue laying EE's and expected to get olive eggs but not so. I was wrong. I'm still not sure how to get the olive colored eggs.

3. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    You have to cross a blue egg layer with a dark brown egg layer like a marans or welsummer to get an olive egger. [​IMG] Oh, but if either id crossed with some other color egg genes, then you may not end up with an olive egger. you might just get a brown egg layer.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  4. PetRock

PetRock Overrun With Chickens

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I have two OE's from Wynette. They are second generation OE's with Black Copper Marans over first generation OE. One of them has a pea comb and I hope will lay a dark olive green egg. The other one has a straight comb and just started laying a beautiful dark brown egg. This is a pic of her and a pic of her first four eggs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. freshfish

freshfish Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    South of San Antonio
    I have no idea what two chickens were crossed, I will try and post pics tomorrow, my girl is black with like gold feathers mixed on her neck/shoulders sorta like a cape, she is very pretty.

6. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Cross a Marans or Welsummer over a blue egg layer, first generation OE. Cross those first gen OE hens back to a Marans roo in hopes of an even darker love egg from the F2 off spring.

7. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    My Olive layers are from Buff Orpingtons, covered by my Silver EE Roo. At least that's who I think their moms were, they're black. But the options for mom's were EE, Buff Orpington, Barred Rock or Light Brahma. I have one that I'm sure came from the LB because she has feathered feet and another one that's white with some black that I think was from the LB too, both are bearded and have muffs. The feathered one lays pink and the other lays brown.

The other black one's lay blue so I guess their moms were the EE girls, but body type of the green layers is BO so I'm pretty sure that's where they came from. [​IMG]

8. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Olive Eggers can't be bred from Orpingtons [​IMG] Olive Eggers are a special kind of EE, bred from DARK brown layers.

But yes, there's a good 5% chance you'll get a single combed dark brown or brown layer from a OE breeding, especially in the 2nd generation.

9. HighNDryFarm

HighNDryFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2011
    Paradise, CA
    Quote:OK, well, I have green eggs....and that's all the chicken breeds I had to get them. [​IMG] First generation....I hatched them myself from those breeds with that one rooster. Maybe they're just plain 'ole layers of green eggs and I shouldn't label them![​IMG]

Here's a picture, sorry it's grainy. The dark brown one is my Austalorps first egg! All the others are eggs from the the combo's I mentioned above.
    [​IMG]

edited to add photo

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  10. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Very cool! They look like scuppernongs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by