Olive Egger Chicks - gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by heidibee, Mar 25, 2018.

1. heidibee

heidibee Chirping

Mar 4, 2018
    These Olive Eggers are 4 weeks. They started to show color on the waddles last week. What do you think so far? I have a collage from week 1 through week 4, and a close up head shot of each. They supposedly had a Cream Legbar mom and a Black Copper Marans dad, which from what I read means they should have been able to be sexed at hatch, but I didn't see them until they were already a week old. Not sure what I think.

Olive Egger #1:
    OE1 week 4.jpg
    OE1.jpg

Olive Egger #2:
    OE2 week 4(2).jpg
    OE2.jpg

Olive Egger #3:
    OE3 week 4(1).jpg OE3.jpg

drumstick diva likes this.
  2. Spartan22

Spartan22 Crowing

Sep 2, 2014
    NE Ohio
    #3 looks like a rooster

3. CiaBia

CiaBia Chirping

Feb 12, 2018
    Miami, Florida
    I agree with the above comment, I'm quite certain #3 is a cockerel. #2 & 3 both have straight combs, with #1 having a pea comb (blue egg gene carrier). The first one seems to be developing pink in the comb, which may indicate a cockerel as well at this age. It will become more apparent in the next couple weeks. #2 doesn't seem to have any red coloration as of yet, so fingers crossed if you're hoping for a hen! Keep an eye out for reddening in the comb and little wattles developing.

Do you still have the contact information of the seller? I don't know the auto sexing genetics very well but if they are indeed auto sexable at hatch and you end up with all males I would be a bit unhappy :oops: or they could have just not known.

drumstick diva and Pigpie like this.
  4. heidibee

heidibee Chirping

Mar 4, 2018
    I do. He is breeding a lot of breeds out of his garage, so it seems more like a casual hobby breeder than a legit serious one. Keeping my fingers crossed! I'm nonconfrontational so I probably won't say anything. I have friends willing to take any roosters and they'd get to live with lots of ladies on several acres.

5. Frazzemrat1

Frazzemrat1 Free Ranging

May 8, 2017
    Eastern Connecticut
    Its really soon to tell for sure, but I'm very suspicious of #1, and I think #3 is definetly a cockerel. #1 has a lot of comb for a 4 wk old. That said, I don't know enough about chicken genetics to know if that combo would have provided a sex linked olive egger.
    @Gray Farms @Brahma Chicken5000

6. puffypoo

puffypoo Like Machine

Oct 3, 2015
    Massachusetts
    male, female, male imo

7. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I think the 3rd chick is a cockerel. I’m on the fence about the other 2 if they’re pullets. Repost pictures of them when they are 8 weeks old.

8. Crazy for Chickens!

Crazy for Chickens! Free Ranging

Jun 9, 2017
    NW Missouri
    Please wait unl they are six weeks old, then post npics of their combs.

9. JedJackson

JedJackson Crossing the Road

Jul 6, 2016
    NW Washington state
    Wow, your cockerels are certainly the lucky ones. I wish they all could find nice homes like that. I think 3 is likely a cockerel but I wouldn't write off 1 just yet, much less 2.

drumstick diva and heidibee like this.
  10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree with Jed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: