1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

olive egger chicks

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by texasmomma, Mar 11, 2016.

1. texasmomma

texasmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    TX
    I have 1 bielefelder roo and two bielefelder X cream legbar roos. I also have bielefelder and bielefelder x cream legbar hens. Some of them lay green eggs and a couple lay brown eggs. I recently hatched some chicks. On one of them, I had a chick come out of a green egg. I think it's a male, but I'm not sure.

Since it came out of a green egg, it has a mother than is a bielefelder over cream legbar. Father could be straight biele or bielefelder over cream legbar.

As an aside, I need some diversity and I'm not sure how to get it. The bieles are all siblings. I *think* they are from the 2011 import from Greenfire, but I'm in Texas and I cannot find anybody who has bielefelders who is hatching from the 2013 or the 2015 imports. I am super happy with the bielefelder over cream legbar crosses. They are a great chicken and withstand the heat better than the straight bielefelders.

So, what do you think? Male or female?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
  2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm not sure what you're asking?

Bies (not typing out the full name each time [​IMG]) lay regular brown eggs.

A Bie crossed with a Legbar should all lay green eggs. Brown x blue = green.

Green x brown = either green or brown.

To get the true dark olive shade, you need a dark brown egg layer like a Welsummer or Marans, etc.

Then again, I've seen lots of folks cheerfully showing off their "olive" eggs that are just plain green to me [​IMG].

If you were asking about gender, I do believe that is a male chick.

3. texasmomma

texasmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    TX
    I get pretty dark eggs out of my bieles. They are definitely not dark like a marans, but some of them are darker than anything else I've ever had. Definitely darker than a RIR, etc. I get a pretty green egg, sometimes leaning to olive, and hope to get a more olive egg at some point.

I meant to ask about gender. I'm pretty sure this is a male, but just wanting to get some other opinions.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by