Olive egger eggs or Americauna eggs??

cmsagirl

Chirping
Apr 6, 2015
Hi everyone! So our hen whom we assumed was an Americauna due to her looks has started to lay! She has laid two eggs so far and both are green. In the pictures I've seen of Americauna green eggs they were a lighter shade. I'll post a picture shortly, but the shade of the eggs makes me think she might be an olive egger instead?? She just doesn't look like one. Thoughts?

Americana and olive Egger are both the same thing, except olive eggers lay green eggs and Americana's lay blue. She probably is an olive Egger if she is laying green eggs. Americana, olive eggers, and Easter eggers, will have a variety of colors, so you can only tell that she is an olive Egger from her egg color. Hope this helps. :)

Americana and olive Egger are both the same thing, except olive eggers lay green eggs and Americana's lay blue. She probably is an olive Egger if she is laying green eggs. Americana, olive eggers, and Easter eggers, will have a variety of colors, so you can only tell that she is an olive Egger from her egg color. Hope this helps.
smile.png

That's a bit of an oversimplification of the issue - as Ameraucanas are a recognized breed of bird and both OE and EE are mixed breed birds. The former conform to a breed standard, including egg color as well as body type, comb type, color pattern, etc - the latter do not.
ETA - "Americana" is another issue - that is a common misspelling used to market EE as though they were the purebred Ameraucana, so in reality "Americana" would be the same thing as an EE.

Last edited:

This is the hen and eggs cmsagirl is talking about

This bird would be classed as an EE/OE -*I* would say OE, but there are those that debate the variation of "green" that makes a bird a "true OE" (which is funny given that it's not an actual breed to begin with) similar to how there are those that will class any bird of blue egg parentage an EE and those who will only consider that bird a "true EE" if it produces colored eggs itself. At either rate, not an Ameraucana......but a truly lovely, and very unique looking, OE/EE.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the info it really does help! :) the main reason I wasn't sure what she was is because I saw the pictures of an olive egger and an americauna on the my pet chicken website and she looked most like the americaunas because of her 'cheeks'. Google wasn't very helpful in showing me specific pictures of both breeds ;)

True Ameraucana only come in a handful of colors. Any bird that isn't one of the recognized colors is an Easter Egger/Olive Egger. Olive Eggers are Easter Eggers that lay a dark olive green egg. She may have the fluffy cheeks, but she's not the right color.

Back
Top Bottom