Olive Egger Gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by emcook, Dec 15, 2018.

1. emcook

emcook Chirping

Apr 6, 2016
    72404F0B-1FAB-49DC-9ED5-630BA41A4D87.jpeg CC7FCDE4-C986-4A4A-9758-EFB73BAF7CCC.jpeg 3BD05BD3-A81C-4194-953F-E131DCE715D5.jpeg C6F7C241-E639-4778-B4D4-99A48A312FE9.jpeg We hatched 7 chicks on Halloween. This is the only chick who’s gender has not been determined. Has no raised comb or visible wattles. No tail feathers yet, dainty legs. It does have the rust coloring on chest and shoulders which screams cockerel to me. I’d love to hear what you think.

ChickNanny13 and HennyPenny2019 like this.
  2. Melky

Melky Crowing

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    Depending on the breeding practices of the parentage mix the colors of the feathering may vary. It looks too soon to tell but nothing yet says cockerel to me and probably too young to tell. By 17 weeks should have some more definitive signs.

JedJackson likes this.
  3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Apr 9, 2016
    California's Redwood Coast
    So are we talking 6 weeks old? If so... could still get development. Who were the parents?

The wider white bars is an indicator that it is male... IF the dame was barred or cuckoo. :pop

I would say little cutie... but it's kinda in the Uhgly phase right now. :oops: :love

4. Melky

Melky Crowing

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    Rust coloring is often on female hens. Example of female olive egger with rust coloring.
    https://meyerhatchery.com/productinfo.a5w?prodID=OEGS

Did you breed two olive eggers or mix two breeds one brown layer and one blue layer to create an olive egger? Or purchased hatching eggs? Just curious about feather pattern and will be curious to see adult feather coloring.

JedJackson and EggSighted4Life like this.
  5. emcook

emcook Chirping

Apr 6, 2016
    Def in the ugly awkward phase, lol. It’s a wheaten maran, cream legbar Cross.

JedJackson likes this.
  6. Animals45

Animals45 Songster

Nov 8, 2018
    Looks like a cockerel because the wings are long and pullets don't have long wings so I'm going with cockerel.

JedJackson likes this.
  7. Melky

Melky Crowing

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    While I think you have bred a hybrid here I am not sure you can use the term olive egger. While olive eggers are typically bred from a Maran/Cream Legbar mix. The typical mix is the Black Maran. I’m not sure this combination has been a breed before? Do you know if it has?

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  8. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Crossing the Road

Jun 23, 2013
    The Big Island/Hawaii
    Looking to be pullet however, repost pics when it's fuller feathered

JedJackson and Melky like this.
  9. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Free Ranging

Apr 9, 2016
    California's Redwood Coast
    I think Olive Egger is as much a generic term as Easter Egger... and if it's a blue cross brown parents... then I think the term does apply... even if it is first generation. Thus far I have not seen a standard put forth for "Olive Egger" and so it seems to me anything goes. :confused: :pop

Marans being the sire and legbar the dame?
    Yes, that would be sex linked by barring... I do believe. :)

10. Melky

Melky Crowing

Jul 23, 2018
    Edgewood, KY
    My Coop
    I’m sure will produce a green egg. Curious to see what lovely color of green. I think the not recognized breed is a shame for the industry as these hybrids are beautiful and developed by pure bred APA birds. I get though that if the breeders do not stick to a defined developed hybrid it does not stand a chance of APA acceptance as a breed. For the backyard person it does not matter because it just gets down to barnyard mixes or an unrecognized hybrid which no Hatchery or NPIP breeder would recognize same as APA as they seem to corner the market on accepted hybrids in the industry recognized by the market and APA recognized breeds. Sorry didn’t mean to hijack thread the breeding practice just peaked my curiosity. I’m curious what @emcook wants to do with the breed? Just for her or hope to breed a new hybrid and sell? Thanks in advance for sharing our curiosity as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: