Olive egger hen

M

member 158781

This olive egger hen turned out to have a little bit more testosterone than anticipated. "She" is called Stanley now and HE rules the roost. But is this the olive egger breed or is he something different altogether. What breed does he look like? He's from April 15 2014.
(So almost 5.5 months in this picture)
Thanks guys.
Ellen

Last edited by a moderator:
An olive egger is just a cross between a dark brown egg laying breed and a blue egg laying breed. They can look very different depending on what breeds are used. In this photo, his comb looks like it may be the "modified pea comb" that you get when you cross a bird with a pea comb (seen in most of the blue layers) to one with a single comb (like you would see in many brown laying breeds). Leg color looks like what you'd expect with an ameraucana parent too. I think he's likely to be an olive egger. I would guess black copper marans/ ameraucana cross.

An olive egger is just a cross between a dark brown egg laying breed and a blue egg laying breed. They can look very different depending on what breeds are used. In this photo, his comb looks like it may be the "modified pea comb" that you get when you cross a bird with a pea comb (seen in most of the blue layers) to one with a single comb (like you would see in many brown laying breeds). Leg color looks like what you'd expect with an ameraucana parent too. I think he's likely to be an olive egger. I would guess black copper marans/ ameraucana cross.

X2 on that. An Olive Egger is an just an Easter Egger that lays olive green eggs due to the particular blue egg X chocolate egg cross involved. There is no standard for appearance. There is a good article at http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2011/09/ameraucana-easter-egger-or-araucana.html explaining the differences between Ameraucanas, Araucanas, Easter Eggers, and Olive Eggers.

Thanks so much for the answers.
I looked up the Black Copper Marans and the Ameraucana. He does seem to have a lot of both.
So if my 3 welsummers and my 2 easter eggers and 2 australorps would get chicks from him, what kind of eggs would they lay?

As for Stanley's disposition: He started attacking me but every time he did that I kept chasing him so he doesn't attack anymore. When he sees me, I can see him thinking: Shall I??? Every time he decides it's not worth the trouble, getting chased and all. So now he behaves very well.
He does look after his hens, He finds them goodies and makes sure they all go into the coop at night. I think he will turn out to be a very nice roo.
And yes, I think he's sooo pretty. But of course I'm partial. (Plus I'm not plagued by a lot of chicken breed knowledge and standards. That helps too.)lol
Ellen

Last edited by a moderator:
So if my 3 welsummers and my 2 easter eggers and 2 australorps would get chicks from him, what kind of eggs would they lay?
It depends on whether he passes off the blue egg gene or the brown egg gene. If he passes on the blue egg gene, you would get Olive Eggers from the Welsummers, lighter green eggs from the Australorps and blue eggs from the Easter Eggers. If he passes on the brown egg gene you would get chocolate eggs from the Welsummers, fairly dark brown eggs from the Australorps and either green or brown eggs from the Easter Eggers, depending on which gene (blue or brown) they gave.

Back
Top Bottom