Olive Egger or Black Copper Marans roo???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickPooh, Jan 20, 2014.

1. ChickPooh

ChickPooh Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2013
    Ok, ladies & gentlemen, I need some help here. I already posted this one at Black Copper Marans thread, but not a lot of feedback... So I'm trying e thread of it own now!!

I hatched and raised, from my birds, this boy. I initially kept him, for a new pen, as a Black Copper Marans. But I'm not so sure anymore if this is what he is!

The possible moms: black copper Marans, (true) Ameraucanas, Rhode Island Red and Barred Rock - not even one white egg layer.
    The only possible dads: Black Copper Marans and Ameraucana.

I think he's an Olive Egger f1, but I'm fairly new to breeding and what the heck do I know?? :)

Reasons why I think he's an OE:
    Yellow legs
    Way too much red on his chest
    White ear lobes
    White feathers on the base of his tail.

If he's an OE, it will be even better than a BCM!!!! I've been searching for an OE roo and maybe I already have one... Or is he just a poor quality BCM? Not sure if these are common faults.

Thanks in advance for the help!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickPooh

ChickPooh Out Of The Brooder

Oct 6, 2013
    "So I'm trying a thread of its own now!!"

Sorry, in a hurry and got some typos there... :)

3. and-roo

and-roo Chillin' With My Peeps

he doesn't have a beard so he most likely can't be an offspring of any of your ameraucanas. he's definitely the offspring of your BCM roo, and his mother could be your RIR. it looks like he has some feathers on his legs, is it possible he could have been the offspring of a feather legged breed? possibly your buff columbian? that would make sense.

sorry to disappoint you if you wanted it to be a OE. maybe you could breed you ameraucana roo with your brown egglayers to get some.[​IMG]

4. hope4rainbow

hope4rainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2013
    Do BCM not have the feathered legs of other Marans? (this was supposed to be under the quote from the pp. i have a hard time posti.g correctly on my phone!)
    I would guess BCM over RIR from the choices for mother hens, except that he has white ears. I thought Marans mostly had red?
    Also, he shouldnt have any Ameraucana in him by how he looks, he has no visible (to me) traits of an Ameraucana. Do you think he could be a poor quality Marans? He looks a lot like one. What type of.brown egg did he hatch from? Do you have a small enough flock you can tell the shades apart? If it was a darker brown, I would guess BCM just not show quality. If not, I would guess BCM over RIR from the choices.

You could easily make OE on purpose, out of the breeds you do have, though!!

These are definitely guesses, I don't have any Marans, I just hang out on here a LOT lol

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I'm also thinking bcm roo over rir hen.

He has no traits of an Ameraucana at all, so that rules out those parents.
    He's not barred, so the barred rock isn't his momma. She would have made sex links with either of those roosters.
    He's not a pure Marans

So, the only possible parents are the bcm roo and rir hen.

And no, I have absolutely no idea where those white lobes came from. My guess would have been there was a brown leghorn in the mix somewhere.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by