Olive Egger! Pics! Need help please!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Suburban Sprouts, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Suburban Sprouts

Suburban Sprouts Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    So, I hatched a few chicks last month including one BCM and two olive eggers. One of the olive eggers is definitely a girl, but this one is making me think ROO. He is an Ameraucana x French Black Copper Maran... I don't have much to compare him to except the other olive egger and also my previous EE babies... Anyway, I suspect he is a boy and if so I have found him a great loving home. Can anyone help me confirm he's a boy so I don't rehome an egg-laying beauty? He is 4.5 weeks old. I also noticed that he's getting some pretty copper coloring around his neck feathers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. dsowens15

dsowens15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Winchester, TN
    It kind hard to tell but the cimb says girl. I would keep it untill I knew for sure. Repsot around 6weeks with more pictures please:D

3. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    I am going to guess roo. That is a lot of comb for a pullet at that age.

4. JPinVT

JPinVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Vermont
    I'm guessing roo too - the comb is just too big and pink for a 4.5 weeker pullet.

5. Suburban Sprouts

Apr 29, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Yes, his comb is much bigger and pinker than my EE's had at that age... but could that be due to his cross? I mean, if there is some Black Copper Maran mixed in could it be a pullet with an especially large comb?

In the top picture, you can see "his" sister next to "him" with her almost non-existent comb. I know it isn't really comparing apples to apples, but I know that if this chicky is a girl, I want to keep her. However, if it's a boy I don't want to lose the opportunity to rehome him to someone who will care for him well...

I do have a FBCM cockerel I could rehome to the place instead but I'm still holding out hope that some country friends of mine will keep him so that I can still have access to his "stud" services... [​IMG]

6. Suburban Sprouts

Apr 29, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I'd like a few more opinions if possible...

7. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    I'd say roo.

8. BeardedLadyFarm

BeardedLadyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    Cobleskill NY
    Cockerel.

9. Namble

Namble Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2009
    North Florida
    Roo. Early sign of crest development usually indicates male. That's my guess.

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    He's a boy with really nice lacing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by