Olive Egger pullet but no tail? and roo?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by mrs_ed, Oct 14, 2011.

1. mrs_ed

mrs_ed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Phx, AZ
    I hatched 2 olive eggers about 6 weeks ago now, and I am pretty positive I got one pullet and one roo. Pics posted for positive ID.
    Also, the blue pullet, appears to not have a tail? I love this bird btw she is the sweetest chicken I have yet to own, the black one, which im pretty positive is a roo, is a little poop! ha! he already at 6 weeks old comes straight for me whenever I go near and pecks at my hands! They both hatched out of dark copper marans eggs, and were a cross between black copper marans and ameracauna. what do you all think? whats with the no tail feathers??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this is the one im pretty positive a roo, very different comb than blue chick his same age
    [​IMG]

2. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I agree with your assessment. That little Roo has ginormous legs![​IMG]

3. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

It's from the Araucana genetics I believe. Araucanas don't have tails.

4. Magic Birdie

Magic Birdie Overrun With Chickens

May 3, 2011
    Magic Birdie land
    Quote:SOME don't have tails... [​IMG]

5. mrs_ed

Mar 15, 2010
    Phx, AZ
    ok i had it wrong, i looked back at the auction listing, and these were from an olive egger roo and black copper marans. Idk if the tail is supposed to look like that with a marans maybe? or if I just got some crazy mutt genetics [​IMG] either way, i love her

6. Blue Ninja

Blue Ninja Out Of The Brooder

Jun 4, 2011
    My blue wheaten easter egger pullet didn't have tail feathers until she was about 5 months old, so it could still happen. I was kinda disappointed though because she looked so interesting.

7. mrs_ed

Mar 15, 2010
    Phx, AZ
    Quote:oh ok thats good to know thank you, i kinda hope she doesnt she looks too cute w/o them [​IMG]

8. FuzzyButtsFarm

FuzzyButtsFarm Rest in Peace 1950-2013

If there is a bump where the tail should be they might get feathers on it later. If it doesn't have a bump it is truly tail less. Olive eggers have americana or araucana (rump less) in there genetics. I had one of those. It was the first one to sell.

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Yeah Olive Eggers with Araucanas behind them are pretty darn rare. I think I'm one of the very few people who sell such, and even mine because they're only half Araucana only get a 50% chance of being rumpless, and the "rumpless" still has more of a bump on the back than purebred Araucanas do.

Either you've got a fluke or you have someone who's got a very slow growing tail. It happens.

10. Cosmos6chick

Cosmos6chick New Egg

Jun 19, 2015
    Mississippi
    I have a Blue Andalusion/mottled Orpington 3 month old, also with no tail. Not sure if it's male or female. I thought it would be male since no tail feathers, but not showing any other cockerel signs. Did yours end up female for sure?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by