Olive Egger question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WolfGirl968, Apr 30, 2017.

1. WolfGirl968

WolfGirl968 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 11, 2016
    Florida
    I hope this is the right thread to post this in, sorry if it is not. I've had chickens for several years now but never bred them myself. I have an Easter Egger rooster and a couple of Cuckoo Maran hens. If I let them breed then incubate the eggs, would I get Olive Egger chicks or not? I only know one parent has to have the blue egg laying gene and the other the dark brown egg laying gene. Thank you in advance! :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Do your olive eggers lay olive eggs? Probably a silly question, but just making sure. If yes, and your rooster has a nice dark brown egg gene, then chicks hatched from the eggs should lay a darker shade of olive than their mothers.

3. WolfGirl968

Sep 11, 2016
    Florida
    I don't have any Olive Eggers. I have Easter Eggers (I believe related to my rooster) that lay greenish eggs. I want to know if I breed my Easter Egger rooster to one of my Cuckoo Maran hens if they would make Olive Egger chicks. :)

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Whoops, I misread that, lol. I have no idea how. Sorry! So, with your EE rooster, you should still get olive eggers, as long as he is carrying the blue egg gene and your hens are laying nice dark eggs.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  5. WolfGirl968

Sep 11, 2016
    Florida
    No worries! I have no idea if my rooster has the blue egg gene but I do know my Cuckoo Maran hens lay nice dark brown eggs. I guess it doesn't hurt to try, either way the chicks would have a good forever home.

6. BIggoMamma

BIggoMamma Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2017
    Only one way to find out for sure. Breed them and let us know how it turns out.

7. WolfGirl968

Sep 11, 2016
    Florida
    I hope I can get around to breeding them soon. I will let you know the results :)

8. Tabasco Jack

Tabasco Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2013
    Draketown, GA
    Yes, IF you rooster carries the blue egg gene. I've got one hen right now that lays an olive. It kinda happened by mistake. I had a black copper marans that somehow got breed to the EE rooster. Her chick which looks exactly like a marans lays blue eggs. I bred her back to the BCM rooster and got the olive laying hen. So this year I have purposely placed a few marans in with him in hopes of reproducing that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by