Olive egger roo or Copper Maran roo?

Higins00

Songster
11 Years
Nov 19, 2008
Ct
I need to know if I should keep my olive egger roo or my Copper Maran roo to make darker olive eggers. Olive egger + Olive egger will be Oliver egger right? Will I get a darker egg if I mate the Maran to the olive egger? Plus should I only mate the ones with pea combs or it dosen't matter. Any one experimented with this? Thanks

Olive Egger x Olive Egger gives you about a 50% chance of olive eggers, the rest will be brown or greenish eggs.

The one to keep is the Marans. Crossing an OE back to a Marans indeed gives you the gorgeously dark olive eggs.
smile.png

Yes, only use OE's with pea combs. Single combed OE's are not carriers of the blue gene, and will lay brown eggs or carry genes for only brown eggs.

Last edited:
Are your hens homozygous for the blue egg gene, or heterozygous?

Heterozygous OE roo over heterozygous OE hens = 75% olive egger chicks, 25% dark brown egger chicks

Marans over heterozygous OE hens = 50% olive egger chicks, 50% dark brown egger chicks.

Any cross of a homozygous blue egg gene bird will produce 100% olive egger chicks.

Ok, thanks I'll have to check out hetero vs homo. Do you get a better chance of having a pea comb chick with the mother having one than the father? Or dosn't it matter

Back
Top Bottom