1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Olive egger turned into cream colored egger.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Diegan, Jan 27, 2012.

1. Diegan

Diegan New Egg

Jan 27, 2012
    I have no idea what happened :(
    Three month ago my Olive Egger start laying very nice olive colored eggs(as it was expected). They came in the different shade, but they were definitely very olive. About 3 weeks ago she "stopped laying", or she start laying somewhere else on 1 acre property. At the same time someone start laying same size light cream eggs. I have 5 very young chickens, who just start laying in the past 3 month and I was not sure which one laying that one. Finally I got sick of going around the property and searching for my olive eggs and I caged(all of my chickens are free range) those two who may lay olive eggs. Nether of them laid olive egg and the one I thought is laying olive eggs, this time lay this mysterious light color cream egg, the same medium size egg, as the olive once was(the rest of my chickens eggs are jumbo and XL)
    Any one know what happened?

2. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    That's interesting - the olive egg color if I understand correctly is from a brown coating on the outside of a blue egg shell. Were the shell's inside blue when you crack them open or white? The shell color shouldn't change although the outside covering may darken or lighten. Look inside the cream color egg and see if the shell is blue or white. If it's blue, then maybe the outer coating is having trouble right now. But if it's white - then that chicken isn't the olive egger - and you haven't found the source of the olive eggs yet.

3. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Your olive egger is just not laying right now. It's winter- everybody slows down, and in your case, can stop. But it's impossible for your olive egger to just 'switch'.

4. Diegan

Diegan New Egg

Jan 27, 2012
    It's white... it was never blue though.

5. Diegan

Diegan New Egg

Jan 27, 2012
    :)) I have 11 chickens, 3 Marans with couple of chocolate eggs everyday. Two other were checked(I put them in the cage to lay eggs) and the rest are Rhode Island Reds...

6. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I would venture to bet one of your other chickens laid the egg. They can have an 'oops' egg that is much smaller than usual. But a chicken just can't suddenly change their printer ink like that. For one, the shell color is genetic. Brown, white, and cream eggs all have the base shell color of white (with pigment laid over the white shell). Blue, green, and olive eggs all have the base shell color of blue. Green eggs have a bit of brown pigment over the blue shell, while olive eggs have very dark brown pigment over a blue shell. She can't physically lay an egg that doesn't have a blue shell base if she was laying olive eggs before, since it is a dominant trait.

7. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I hope someone else can help you. I thought olive eggers were from blue laying aruacana hens and black copper maran roosters. You may want to post this question under breeds on the olive egger thread and see what they say. Hope you get an answer.

8. Diegan

Diegan New Egg

Jan 27, 2012
    I know it does not make any sense, that is why I am here :))) The only smaller than usual egg I have was the olive egg.. then it disappeared.. then the mystery cream egg came.. the same small size as an olive one. I will check all of my Marans tomorrow..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by