1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

"Olive Eggers" anyone have any?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by L&Schickens, Sep 3, 2008.

1. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I am so disapointed in the Marans/Ameracana eggs I got that I would like to try some from someone else who knows how to pack eggs. Anyone know of someone who might have some?

2. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

sent pm

3. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I was sooo jazzed to find out that I have all the raw materials to make olive eggers. Of course, it'll be next year before I manage to make one.
    What do y'all think of this: I told my BF (who's concerned about the growing chicken population) that I want to breed BC Marans, Blue Andalusians and EEs. When I found out that I can make olive eggers by breeding two of these, I didn't think it was much of a jump. He's now shaking his head and saying things like, "Oh, yeah, sure, only three breeds. Next thing ya know, it'll be a dozen." My feeling is, if he can't look at them and tell they're different from the EEs, then they're EEs. [​IMG]

4. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    That would be cool. What color egg does an Blue Andalusian lay?

5. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    white eggs. I've got 2 BA hens and they lay nice, big, (almost round sometimes) white eggs...

6. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I thought they laied a white egg. I think that crossing them with a EE or Marans would just dilute the egg color, wouldn't it?
    I love BA, BTW. I should have got some of them. Maybe next year. [​IMG]

7. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Love, love, love my Andalusians. They're the smartest birds in the yard.
    The dark colour of the Marans egg is actually a coating on the exterior of the egg. The blue from an EE is in the outer layer of the eggshell. When you cross a Marans with an EE, that coating goes over the blue to produce olive green.

8. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    OOH so these Marans laid eggs that were fertilized by my EE Roo might just be olive eggers? COOL!
    [​IMG]

9. L&Schickens

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    Quote:So if you cross a light egg layer with a dark egg layer, you will either get offspring that lay a white egg or a dark egg? Not a light colored egg?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by