1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Olive Eggers egg color

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kkcummins, Aug 31, 2014.

1. kkcummins

kkcummins Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2013
    OK, here's my question. I have four Olive Eggers pullets that a breeder snuck in on me when I thought I was buying purebred Marans. They have just started laying, and today. I saw one of the Olive Eggers in the process of laying an egg. It is brown and approximately a 2.5 on my Marans egg color chart. Howe often does an Olive Eggers lay the somewhat darker brown eggs? I know she is an Olive Eggers by the presence of the muff and beard. I have yet to see even a slightly greenish egg. The Olive Eggers are part of What I believed to be a purebred Marans flock.

2. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Your Olive Eggers could be second generation Olive Eggers (the offspring of Olive Eggers and Marans). If so, they can still carry the muffs and beards, and yet lay the darker eggs. Given that they were snuck in on you when you thought you were buying purebred Marans, I think that this is highly likely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by