1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Olive-eggers- hens or roos?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by buckabucka, Jun 24, 2011.

1. buckabucka

buckabucka Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    I need some help sexing these olive-eggers. All of them are 6 weeks old. Of the 10 that hatched, 3 are obvious roos, 3 hens, and then there are these 4 which I am not sure about:

#1 has a fairly big comb, but the tail looks hen-like to me:
    [​IMG]

#1 comb close-up
    [​IMG]

#2 Has a pale, straight comb, but the tail feathers are slower growing:
    [​IMG]

#2 comb:
    [​IMG]

#3 also has slower growing tail feathers:
    [​IMG]

#3 comb:
    [​IMG]

#4 I think is a rooster, but the comb, while pink, hasn't grown much. This chick suffered a large gash to the chest in it's first week, and is behind in development:
    [​IMG]

#4 comb:
    [​IMG]

Thanks for any insight on these!

2. kcaywood

kcaywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Rancho Cordova, CA
    Sweet birdies. My vote is:

Roo
    Hen
    Hen
    Roo

3. buckabucka

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    Thanks for the reply! I do hope #2 and 3 are hens. Even though I think #4 is probably a roo, I desperately want it to be a girl! It is the only one that was raised by a hen, and after the injury, was nursed back to health. We've grown attached to him. Maybe if he has good manners, we'll replace our current roo. [​IMG]

4. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    I'm not sure on #1 and #2, but #3 I'm pretty sure is a roo. It has 3 rows in the pea comb. #4's comb is smaller, so I can't see too well, but it's looking like it has 3 rows as well. [​IMG]

ETA: This is one of my EE roos, with the pea comb. Notice the 3 rows...
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  5. buckabucka

Jan 13, 2010
    Fairfield, Maine
    My Coop
    So 3 rows means rooster? I don't know much about this. Thanks for the info. It is confusing to me, because they all look so different! Here is #3 again, but with one of the chicks that I am definitely calling a rooster:
    [​IMG]

See how different they look?

6. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I vote roo on #3 also. #2 is a pullet, #1 undecided, leaning to roo, #4 roo.

7. kcaywood

kcaywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2010
    Rancho Cordova, CA
    I understand getting attached, for sure! My first EE, sexed as a pullet but actually a roo, had to be rehomed to a nearby farm. I visit him a lot, pick him up, cuddle him ... but I hope that your #4 is a little girl! There is still hope - I said roo because you mentioned that there had been an injury and stunted growth ... but he really doesn't look much different from #3, who I believe is a pullet.

Well, keep us posted, and good luck!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by