Olive eggers in the 2nd generation ??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Jim N Phyl, Jan 28, 2017.

1. Jim N Phyl

Jim N Phyl New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    Hi All , I was very successful with my olive eggs I breed for last year. I Had a Mishaps with predators that left me without a Maran Rooster(mine was a BlackCopper Maran). So I Have a couple very nice 1-Blue-Copper & 1- Black-copper Maran Hens without a Boyfriend ...... So I also have a few Quality TRUE BLUE egg laying Black Ameraucana hens and a Black Ameraucana Rooster, So I let the 2 Maran hens in with the Ameraucana Rooster, and Wala !!
    Now a year later I have some very uniformed color /all black bodies with copper Maran hackled necks and Americauna Muffs and Tuff Pullets/Hens and all laying Very dark solid olive color eggs !!
    Now what should I do for replacements this second generation ??
    1. Keep breeding marans to a Americauna ? OR second Question, What happens when Olive eggers are bred to the Ameracauna rooster ? OR a Olive egger Rooster ? Thanks .

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Maybe @Kev can help you out on this question?

3. penny1960

penny1960 Going back to La La Land Premium Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Mossyrock, WA
    actually either @ronott1 would be a great choice or
    @junebuggena either on could be lots of help for you

4. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    Are you going for egg color or tying to make a breed that breeds true?

The answer is different depending on what you are trying to do.

5. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    Here's a chart I found. Not sure if it actually will work or not, but it would be exciting to find out.

[​IMG]

6. Jim N Phyl

Jim N Phyl New Egg

Feb 19, 2013
    Thankyou Very Much draye , and everyone who responded ! This Breeding chart is just what I need . Thankyou !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by