Olive eggers question, Welsummer x EE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by theperdews, Feb 10, 2012.

1. theperdews

theperdews Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2011
    We have been collecting eggs from our Welsummer hens covered by our EE roo. Do any of you have pictures of the color of eggs Welsummer x EE produce?

Our plan is to keep the pullets with pea combs to raise and cross on our black copper Marans rooster to hopefully get darker green eggs from the next generation, just because we like the odd-colored eggs our flock of several breeds produce (the Marans is not ready to breed yet, which is why we're starting with 1/2 Welsummers).

Thanks!

Toni

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    The color of the offspring's eggs will be heavily dependent on the parent's egg-color. So if your wellies only have kinda-dark eggs, don't expect this first generation to lay army-green eggs. Olive, yes, but not the color of 1970's carpeting.

3. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    This of course assumes that dad has the blue egg gene. Where did your EE roo come from, and how certain are you that he has the blue egg gene?

4. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Agreed.

5. theperdews

theperdews Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2011
    We knew this was a possible concern, but are hoping he follows along the lines of the EE pullets we got at the same time. They have almost all given us blue eggs (one lays a light greenish-blue egg). I don't know if it matters, but the roo has a pea comb.

We had planned to cross our Welsummer roo with our EE hens, but we unfortunately lost him.

We will set the Welsummer eggs that are darkest, plus a couple that have big dark spots, but not the lighter ones. I'm not sure if the lighter ones are due to the time of year or not. Last summer/fall, we didn't get light ones except for the ones with big dark speckles. But just in case, we're going to incubate the darkest ones.

Thanks!

Toni

6. Tylerkaz@gmail.com

[email protected] Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2012
    Washougal, WA
    i incubated a black star with a EE roster. the black star lays eggs that almost don't fit in the carton that they are so big so I'm hoping for large green eggs. i heard they can be ether olive color or could only lay what one of the parents layed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by